Sunday, October 7, 2012
So I just want to share some lovely pictures from my garden. I now have 5 roses in my yard … including one tea-rose. It is so beautiful and is aptly named “Perfume”. The other roses are so pretty to look at, but lacking in scent.
We are still enjoying lovely sunny weather but the grounds do need rain. As do the salmon up-island. There is quite serious concerns about the Chinook, waiting to spawn and for now are filling an estuary … instant meals for the seals.
Lucky me .. ordered and received 6 yards of that lovely miracle mulch. Finely ground leaves, twigs (no bark!) and have been busy loading up containers and placing a thick layer on all of the perennials that edge our property. Great way to burn calories, I say.
I was going to write about gratefulness today .. this being Thanksgiving weekend and all. And I’ve been thinking about all many, many things in my life that I am truly thankful for. Too many to list, but I will mention a few.
- Today is quiet .. bliss. Normally there is heavy construction taking place in the neighbourhood .. thus taking away the joy of being outside in my garden.
- Today is sunny . .and I will go outside soon .. time to plant my garlic. And this year I will clearly label what is planted where!
- Thankful that I have my good health and can bend and stretch and shovel .. all the attributes needed by a gardener.
- Grateful that our two cats, Duncan (brother of our little Youbou, who we lost a few weeks ago) and JaneE (our little girl cat) have started communicating to each other.
- Thankful for good friends .. wonderful to discuss the world with and learn more about gardening and how to grow various plants.
- My lovely DH ..
- Happy to see the lovely birds flitting about the yard .. chirping, drinking at the little water containers in the yard.
- Ecstatic to watch eagles, hawks, seagulls and, yes, even crows …. soaring overhead. A reminder to look up at the skies from time to time.
- Lucky to be surrounded by so very many beautiful places to wander, here on the island. Wild ocean beaches. Cool woods. Sandy paths. Nature Sanctuaries. So many places to visit and enjoy the natural beauty that is here.
Yesterday I was outside in the sun, enjoying a cup of Yorkshire Tea .. when I noticed JaneE wandering in front of a mirrored window that I had just left leaning against a container. At first she was very cool and ignored her reflection. But, curiosity got the better of her and finally she stopped, and just stared at this “other” cat!
She sniffed all around, couldn’t find out where this other cat was, so she walked around to the back to see if the cat was there.
Then Duncan noticed that JaneE was outside. He seemed quite agitated and ran over to where she was sitting and stopped. She just stared back at him. He began a conversation, composed of short and long meow-chatter. Ending with a mournful howling sound that brought tears to my eyes.
I know that he was communicating with JaneE, wondering where his little brother was. He still misses him. We hope that eventually, they will communicate more and perhaps, some day, they will cuddle up to each other. Companionship.
So many more things to be grateful for. But time is marching on and the sun beckons me outside. That garlic won’t plant themselves.